Dear Camp Families,
This month’s post is coming a little later into the month as our guiding information has changed a lot this month. Back in January the health unit was advising us that they were hopeful to allow overnight camps to open in summer of 2021. With that knowledge we had set dates for our 2021 camps. These summer dates are:
Intermediate Co-Ed #1: July 11-16, 10-13 yrs.
Junior Co-Ed #1: July 18-23, 7-10 yrs.
Intermediate Co-Ed #2: July 25-30, 10-13 yrs.
Junior Co-Ed #2: August 1-6, 7-10 yrs.
Senior Co-Ed: August 8-13, 12-15 yrs.
Junior Co-Ed #3: August 15-20, 7-10 yrs.
Note: that May weekend is not included as we had already decided to cancel our May camp this year.
We currently are releasing these dates as our hopeful summer 2021 camp dates. We had planned to open registration as of March 1, 2021. However, this week we have received new guidance from the health unit. They were previously moving forward with approving overnight camps, but have taken them back off the table for the time being. With the increase of variants being seen right now they are currently reconsidering overnight camps. For now, they are continuing to say that we cannot open for summer 2021, but that they will be reassessing this further into the spring. Thus, we return to waiting on decisions from higher up. We are ready and prepared to open registrations if/when the government makes a decision on overnight camps. For now, we are waiting for further decisions to be made. This will depend on how the pandemic situation unfolds into the spring of 2021.
A decision that the Camp Tanner Inc. board did reach this month is that we will continue to run only as an overnight camp. In January we had parents complete a interest survey. In this survey we asked parents if they would be interested in sending their kids to camp if Camp Tanner were to run as a day camp. Most parents said no to this, and we feel there is not enough interest in a day camp experience at Camp Tanner. Thus, we have decided that we will not run day camps. If Camp Tanner operates in summer of 2021 it will be as an overnight camp or not at all.
As of now we have begun staffing. We are starting to collect staff applications and will begin to review these and interview if we get word that we will be able to open for summer 2021. Interested candidates should still send in their applications so that we can hire in a timely manner if/when we do get approval to open.
We wish we had more positive news for you, but for now we continue to wait,
Grrrruff & The Camp Tanner Board
Leave a Reply.
Covid-19 Updates Page
Hi parents and campers. This is the place to check for updates regarding the pandemic. We are still in the process of sorting out many of the details regarding summer, but this is where it will be as we make decisions. This will be updated once a month (after our monthly board meetings). Expect updates in the second week of each month.