As mentioned in our earlier January post, we are looking for input from all of you to help us guide our planning for 2021. We have both a staff survey and a camper family survey that we are looking for you to participate in before February 1, 2021.
In order to best serve you our families and know more about our potential camper populations, we have a family survey. We want to know who is interested in returning to camp and camper ages. This will help us do our best to make sure we can accommodate as many campers as possible with our limited capacity. It’s very important to us that returning campers, who love Camp Tanner, don’t get left without a spot. You can take the survey at https://form.jotform.com/210058920065045 The survey will only take you a minute or two and you can skip any questions you do not care to comment on.
With the hope of camp running, we are also in the early stages of staffing. Our camper numbers will obviously impact our staff needs, but we would like to start getting an idea of how many staff may be interested in returning to work with us this summer. We are asking returning staff to complete a survey to indicate their interest in working this summer. This is not a commitment to work but just an indication of interest to apply. We hope our staff will complete this to help us know where our staffing gaps may lie. You can take the staff survey at: https://form.jotform.com/210058898470261
Thanks to all who completed the surveys! This will help us as we move into the planning stages for 2021. We hope to have more news to share with you next month after we receive input from the surveys.
Grrrruff & The Camp Tanner Board
Here is our first 2021 update. Here is hoping you all had an enjoyable, yet different than ever, holiday season. As we begin into 2021, we are presented with our first glimmer of hope that 2021 summer will be different than 2020. We have been in discussions with our local health unit (Southwestern Public Health). For the first time in our planning with them, they are finally suggesting there is a possibility of overnight summer camps being given permission to open. However, there are still a lot of unknowns to that happening and they are still working on approving rules and guidelines for overnight camps. That being said, we are starting to investigate if we can meet the guidelines that we are starting to receive in order to create a safe environment for all. It may still be a bit before overnight camps get full approval to run, and changing numbers of cases leading in to the summer may still change our plans, but for now we are hopeful to at least run at some capacity.
What we do know for sure as of now, is that our camper and staff numbers will likely be significantly reduced. In order to best serve you our families and know more about our potential camper populations, we are going to be creating a family survey. We want to know who is interested in returning to camp and camper ages. This will help us do our best to make sure we can accommodate as many campers as possible with our limited capacity. It’s very important to us that returning campers, who love Camp Tanner, don’t get left without a spot. The survey will be coming out around Jan. 15, please check your e-mail and/or our social media accounts for the link. Please consider completing the survey so that your opinions and interest is accounted for in our planning.
Registration is still on hold until we decide on dates. We will be picking camp dates at our next board meeting (the first week of February). We want to wait until then as we want to see camper interest from our family survey before we set dates. We are going to do our best to adjust age groups to best accommodate the ages of our interested campers. So Please complete the survey so your camper is not missed! Dates for camps will likely come out in early February with registrations beginning in mid-to-late February.
With the hope of camp running, we are also in the early stages of staffing. Our camper numbers will obviously impact our staff needs, but we would like to start getting an idea of how many staff may be interested in returning to work with us this summer. We will also be putting out a staff survey to determine staff interest. Staff can look for this coming to them near Jan. 15 as well. This is not a commitment to work but just an indication of interest to apply. We hope our staff will complete this to help us know where our staffing gaps may lie.
Thanks to all our families for being patient with us as we navigate these uncertain times,
Grrrruff and the Camp Tanner Board
We continue to plan for the 2021 season. We are currently seeking contact with the local health units to determine safe ways to operate and get a better understanding of the capacity our camp may be allowed to have for a safe 2021 season. Our capacity and camper numbers will affect our registrations so we are still waiting to open registration and release camp dates for 2021. We are considering a few possibilities for changes to camp dates for 2021, but hope to have these posted by early 2021. Our goal is to open registration in February 2021, with an opportunity for returning families to have a first chance to register. More details on this will come to you by email in late January.
We have made a decision regarding our May weekend camp that we typically run on the Victoria Day weekend. This camp will not run for 2021. We feel staff will need additional time to be trained, and the camp will need additional time to be cleaned and prepared for the changes that will take place in our 2021 season to keep all campers safe. Thus, we feel May weekend camp would not be in the best interest of safety for all. We typically run our CIT training at this camp. If you would have been a CIT last year, or will be a CIT this year, we still plan to do some of this training. It will just happen at a different time and in a different format. Likely we will have a CIT/ new counsellor training closer to the start of summer.
Hope you all are staying safe,
Grrrruff and the Camp Tanner Board
Hi Camp Tanner families,
We have missed you all and we know you missed us. We hope you enjoyed some camp from home activities over the 2020 summer. Much of summer 2021 is still uncertain. Currently we are waiting on government decisions and guidance for summer 2021. We are also awaiting the creation of overnight summer camp guidelines from the Ontario Camps Association (OCA). Once some of these bodies finish the creation of some of their guidelines for camper safety, then we will be able to move forward with our planning to create a safe yet fun summer for our campers. As of now we hope to run programs for summer 2021. We are working on setting dates for those and will hopefully release them in the next month. As you know our registrations usually open in Mid-January. We are hoping to open registrations early in the new year once we have a better idea of our camps capacity. We suspect guidelines this year may limit our camper spaces available, and are still making those decisions.
For now this is where we are at with planning for the covid-19 circumstances. We will update families on this page as we make more decisions and get closer to opening for the season. Please check back every month for updates. We have board meetings first week of each month to make decisions, so we will try to communicate those decision to you in a post the second week of each month.
Covid-19 Updates Page
Hi parents and campers. This is the place to check for updates regarding the pandemic. We are still in the process of sorting out many of the details regarding summer, but this is where it will be as we make decisions. This will be updated once a month (after our monthly board meetings). Expect updates in the second week of each month.